Saturday, January 6, 2007

Utah Trip






A few days after Christmas I left for Utah to start my new job. However, it is uncharacteristic of me to go anywhere and not make a vacation out of it. After being stranded for New Years in Amarillo due to snow our first stop was in Northern Arizona in Canyon de Chelley National Monument.

After a day in Chinle, Arizona we moved on to Monument Valley, the site of several famous western movies and many others that take place in the desert. The views were spectacular as the monolith monuments rise sharply out of the desert like sentinels standing guard over ancient Indian lands.

Our next stop would be on of my favorite places, Moab, Utah. The adventure capital of the world provides endless opportunities for climbing, biking, hiking, rafting, and exploring. However, for two under-the-weather adventurers we did little more than auto tour the area. We went to Canyonlands and Arches National Parks. We tried to focus more on understanding what we saw rather than just seeing as much as we could. I bought an ecology book and tried to identify plants and rocks and such.

Chelsie flew home on Saturday after a short stint in Salt Lake City where we toured the campus of the University of Utah. Chelsie is planning on attending graduate school here in the city. It was a wonderful trip full of diversity and much learning.

3 comments:

Campbell said...

Way to show me up blogger! You look happy as a stuffed pig! Be safe. What's you address again?? Love ya!

Campbell said...

Looks like a good time! I bet the smell IS something to get used to! How 'bout that mailing address for your "audience"? I hope your training went well and the job is what you expected or better! Love, Sis-TER

Anonymous said...

Hey Curt!
Brenda here... you can add me to your fan club, I mean audience!
I LOVE the pic of you and Chelsie!
Keep the pictures coming.
Love You! :)